Colorado Law Requires Lifetime Supervision of Some Persons Convicted of Sex Offenses

In 1998, Colorado’s state legislature passed the Colorado Sex Offender Lifetime Supervision Act. This law allows courts to sentence certain people convicted of sex-related crimes in Colorado to a lifetime of treatment and supervision. The law’s main points cover sentencing, treatment, and supervision of certain people after they have received a criminal conviction for a sex-related offense.

First, the law allows courts to give an “indeterminate sentence” to a person convicted of any one or more of a long list of sex offenses. An indeterminate sentence does not set a specific amount of time the person convicted must serve. Instead, it sets a minimum amount of time, but allows the courts to keep the convicted person in prison for longer than the minimum (in some cases, up to the rest of that person’s natural life) if incarceration is deemed necessary for other people’s safety or for treatment.

In addition, the law provides separate provisions for treatment of those convicted of any of a wide range of sex offenses. Any sentence that includes probation, incarceration, parole, or community corrections must also require the person convicted to undergo treatment based on guidelines created by the Sex Offender Management Board.

Finally, in addition to an indeterminate sentence to jail or prison, courts may also impose an indeterminate length of time the person must be on probation or parole after jail or prison time is completed. Depending on the details of the person’s conviction, this probation period may last from ten years up to the rest of the person’s natural life.

Colorado law considers sex-related offenses to be serious crimes, and the penalties set by law are strict. If you’ve been charged with a sex offense in Colorado, please don’t hesitate to contact experienced Colorado Springs felony sex offense defense attorney Timothy Bussey at The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. He will fight to protect your rights and to seek the best possible outcome in your case. For a confidential consultation, call (719) 475-2555 today.

Contact Information