DUI Court Proposed in Denver

The criminal justice community in Denver has proposed to open a DUI court in April that would send repeat offenders to intensive treatment rather than jail, reports The Denver Post.

The concept of the court is comparable to many other treatment courts in the state, and has the support of public defenders and prosecutors, as well as advocacy groups and crime commission leaders in the city. Under the proposed system, a driver caught intoxicated three times, or second-time DUI offenders with a high blood alcohol level (BAC), would qualify for the treatment. The program is projected to be in-depth treatment for addiction with close court supervision for 19 months, begun during a mandatory, but short, jail sentence. When the offender is released, they would be required to meet twice a month with a group that would potentially include treatment counselors, probation officers, a judge, and attorneys.

Since March, Denver County Court officials along with others have raised about a half million dollars in grants for a new county court martial to run the proposed court and new probation officers. The court aims to take on about 200 offenders annually, which would save over $850,000 on expenses of jail beds and other courts.

However, issues have arisen regarding the details about how the court would be run, who would pay for the court, and what role public attorneys would have and the proposed Denver DUI court is under debate.

It is important to remember you have legal rights if you have been charged with or arrested for drunk driving in Colorado. You may feel there are no choices left but to admit guilt after a charge or an arrest, but you should be aware that with aggressive and experienced representation by a skilled Colorado Springs DUI lawyer, a strong defense can be put together on your behalf. You may be able to be given alternative sentencing or reduced punishment. The attorneys at The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. have the skills and resources needed to help you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. Call 719-475-2555 today.

Contact Information